In our continuing series of examining Google Search Trends to gain insights into the top keywords queried in the USA, we present our findings for October 2022.
Every day, we capture the top three keyword phrases in terms of search volume as reported by Google Trends (US Only). Each term has an estimated query volume attached to it, which we also record. The number scale tops out at 10,000,000+ with a lower limit of 200,000+ (sometimes 100,000+). After the conclusion of the month, we look at the phrases we collected along with their volumes to get an understanding of what drove queries for the month.
Harvesting Search Queries in October 2022
Autumn 2022 is in full effect across the USA last month and we followed along, recording the top queried keyword phrases each day. Looking at our collection, we see interest in Halloween entertainment options, dreams of big lottery wins, and concerns about tech companies. With the MLB playoffs, College and Pro Football games, and the NBA season starting up again, we collected a large number of keyword phrases related to sports. Lastly, the two events that best captured the moment in time that was October 2022: McDonalds introduced Happy Meals for adults and a gamer revealed his face. People showed their quest for knowledge of both these things via Google search and the AMP Agency team was there to witness it.
The Day of The Dead Doodle
We almost got through the whole month without seeing a keyword phrase queried more than 10 million times within a day. On the last day of October, Google changed its logo and we got our top phrase of the month by query volume:
- Day of the Dead - 10/31/2022 - 10,000,000+ queries
Clicks on the logo sent people to the results page for “Day of the Dead” as a celebration of a holiday widely observed in Mexico.
October 2022 Entertainment Options
Thursday the 13th was the day to learn more about the films and TV shows that were made for frights.
- Halloween Ends - 10/13/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- The Watcher - 10/13/2022 - 500,000+ queries
Michael Myers is back for another installment of the Halloween movie series and home ownership is made scarier when letters arrive in the mail in the Netflix show, The Watcher. Yes, even scarier than the utility bills.
Swifties were excited about a new album and Heidi Klum dressed as a worm.
- Taylor Swift - 10/20/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Heidi Klum - 10/31/2022 - 500,000+ queries
Taylor Swift’s Midnights album was released on the 21st and Heidi Klum hosted her first Halloween party since 2019 and was dressed extremely realistically as a human-sized worm. It’s another great sign that things are getting back to a post-pandemic reality.
In October, they kept drawing numbers and they kept finding no winners. With no winners, the jackpot kept getting larger and so did the search interest.
- Powerball - 10/25/2022 - 500,000+ queries
- Powerball - 10/27/2022 - 500,000+ queries
- Powerball - 10/29/2022 - 2,000,000+ queries
There’s definitely a correlation to the size of the jackpot and the number of queries. When there is a chance to win a billion dollars (or close to it, after taxes), “Powerball” makes the daily top 3 in Google Trends.
Two Big Reveals
The gaming YouTuber Dream decided to reveal his face after years of concealing it and McDonalds released a Happy Meal made for adults that feature collectables from the streetwear brand, Cactus Plant Flea Market:
- Dream face - 10/1/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Cactus Plant Flea Market - 10/3/2022 - 1,000,00+ queries
Dream’s face reveal was a big deal. According to People.com, the video where he showed his face for the first time on YouTube generated over 21.9 million views and 2.5 million likes in less than a day. Happy Meals for Adults launched with figurines designed in collaboration with CPFM and clearly people were excited to learn more about them.
Politics Here and Across The Pond
In the US, debates between candidates running for Senate seats drove people to search.
- Warnock, Walker debate - 10/14/2022 - 200,000+ queries
- Fetterman - 10/25/2022 - 500,000+ queries
We safely predict we’ll see more query volume for keyword phrases related to the midterm elections next month. Stay tuned.
Search interest in UK politics continued in October with the appointment of a new Prime Minister.
- U.K. Prime Minister - 10/19/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Rishi Sunak - 10/23/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
After Liz Truss stepped down from the post, Rishi Sunak officially became the incumbent Prime Minister on October 25th, 2022.
October 2022 Tech News
There were three notable queries related to tech companies from our collection last month:
- Amazon Prime Day - 10/10/2022 - 200,000+ queries
- Meta stock - 10/26/2022 - 500,000+ queries
- Elon Musk - 10/26/2022 - 500,000+ queries
There was another Amazon Prime Day in October 2022 although the search interest related to this one wasn’t as large as the one that occurred during the summer:
Maybe one Prime Day per year is enough?
The other two tech-related keyword phrases were a bit more gloomy as Meta released its third quarter earnings on the 26th, which caused the stock of Facebook’s parent company to fall sharply. On the same day, Elon Musk finalized his purchase of Twitter.
What will the future hold for either of these properties? Whatever happens, people will be searching for answers.
The Collegiate Gridiron Roundup
Sports-related queries took up the majority of our collection from October 2022. Here are the top college football keyword phrases:
- Georgia football - 10/1/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Alabama football - 10/8/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Tennessee football - 10/8/2022 - 200,000+ queries
- Texas Longhorns football - 10/8/2022 - 200,000+ queries
- Alabama football - 10/15/2022 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Clemson football - 10/22/2022 - 500,000+ queries
Since these keyword phrases were all queried on Saturdays, the intent behind them is most definitely game related.
Just The Top NFL Queries
If Saturdays are for college football, then Sundays are for the NFL. And Mondays. And Thursdays.
- Dallas Cowboys - 10/2/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Chiefs - 10/2/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Vikings - 10/2/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- 49ers - 10/3/2022 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Tom Brady - 10/4/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Broncos - 10/6/2022 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Packers - 10/9/2022 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Bengals - 10/9/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Bears - 10/13/2022 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Cowboys - 10/16/2022 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Broncos - 10/17/2022 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Christian McCaffrey - 10/20/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Saints - 10/20/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Dallas Cowboys - 10/23/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Steelers - 10/23/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Patriots - 10/24/2022 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 10/27/2022 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Tom Brady - 10/27/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Buffalo Bills - 10/30/2022 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Eagles - 10/30/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Vikings - 10/30/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
There were more NFL related queries collected last month but we’re only publishing the phrases that were queried more than a million times during a 24 hour period. This list is long enough!
Major League Baseball Is Still Interesting
The MLB playoff got a lot of attention from what was reported in Google Trends
- Aaron Judge - 10/4/2022 - 500,000+ queries
- Mets - 10/7/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Phillies - 10/7/2022 - 500,000+ queries
- Astros - 10/11/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Dodgers - 10/11/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Phillies - 10/14/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Yankees - 10/15/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Yankees - 10/16/2022 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Phillies - 10/18/2022 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Padres vs Phillies - 10/21/2022 - 500,000+ queries
- World Series - 10/28/2022 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Astros - 10/31/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
The eventual winner of the World Series will be revealed in our next report - no spoilers!
A New NBA Season
The 2022-23 season kicked off in October. Before the games started, Draymond Green made headlines for getting into a fight with one of his teammates:
- Draymond Green - 10/5/2022 - 500,000+ queries
- Draymond Green - 10/7/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
The rest of the NBA-related queries had more to do with games than individual players.
- NBA - 10/18/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Lakers - 10/18/2022 - 500,000+ queries
- Suns - 10/19/2022 - 200,000+ queries
- Lakers - 10/21/2022 - 500,000+ queries
The volume of NBA queries will pick up in March 2023 and will continue increasing in interest until the Finals in June.
Is European Soccer’s Popularity Apparent To You?
Finally, Keywords related to European football matches continue to appear in the top 3 of Google’s daily trends. Here’s the full list of phrases.
- Man City vs Man United - 10/1/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Man City vs Copenhagen - 10/5/2022 - 200,000+ queries
- Chelsea vs Milan - 10/5/2022 - 200,000+ queries
- Arsenal vs Liverpool - 10/9/2022 - 500,000+ queries
- Barcelona vs Inter - 10/12/2022 - 500,000+ queries
- Rangers vs Liverpool - 10/12/2022 - 200,000+ queries
- Real Madrid vs Barcelona - 10/15/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Manchester United - 10/19/2022 - 200,000+ queries
- Chelsea vs Man United - 10/22/2022 - 500,000+ queries
The popularity of this non-American sport is quite apparent in search trends. The team at AMP Agency wonders when there will be more domestic coverage of these games. Perhaps soon is likely the answer.
Thanks for reading. If you liked this article, we utilize search trends data for all of our clients and we invite you to learn more about our SEO services.