In our continuing series of examining Google Search Trends to gain insights into the top keywords queried in the USA, we present our findings for March 2023.
Every day, we capture the top three keyword phrases in terms of search volume as reported by Google Trends (US Only). Each term has an estimated query volume attached to it, which we also record. The number scale tops out at 10,000,000+ with a lower limit of 200,000+ (sometimes 100,000+). After the conclusion of the month, we look at the phrases we collected along with their volumes to get an understanding of what drove queries for the month.
March 2023 gave people a lot to celebrate. We had holidays supported by Google Doodles and an Oscar Award show that drove queries about other topics other than a slap. On the other hand, there were some things that happened that weren’t so great like banks collapsing. Gwyneth Paltrow took up some of our attention with her trial and we were mad for the NCAA basketball tournament. The AMP Agency team looked through all the collected phrases of the month to share them with our thoughts in this post.
This year, we saw International Women’s Day queries appear in Google’s Daily Trends for 3 straight days.
- International Women's Day - 3/6/2023 - 10,000,000+ queries
- International Women's Day - 3/7/2023 - 10,000,000+ queries
- Día Internacional de la Mujer - 3/8/2023 - 200,000+ queries
Yes, the volume of queries was aided by a Google Doodle logo but we dug deeper. We wanted to see how this past day of celebration compared to past years. Clearly, there was a huge jump in search interest in 2023:
When we look back on the interest over time back to 2019, the chart shows us that a step change has happened in 2023. So much so, that the Spanish version of the query garnered over 200K queries on the day of the celebration. Pay attention to this topic moving forward.
Other Days of Celebration
The subject of another holiday had Google changing their logo into a Doodle. Every click on the logo was registered as a query and the Daily Trends reported more than ten million queries.
- St. Patrick's Day - 3/16/2023 - 10,000,000+ queries
Although the holiday occurs on the 17th, it appears Google Doodle queries get reported mostly on the day prior. Our team has reported on this phenomenon before. There seems to be an alignment with a timezone closer to the International Date Line rather than the Pacific Time Zone. No matter, the query volume can be used as directional. Erin Go Bragh!
Other days worth that generated search queries in March 2023 were as follows:
- Daylight Savings - 3/11/2023 - 2,000,000+ queries
- First day of spring 2023 - 3/18/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- First day of spring - 3/19/2023 - 500,000+ queries
- Ramadan - 3/20/2023 - 200,000+ queries
People grumpy about losing an hour of sleep probably were using Google to learn when the clocks were springing forward and why we keep doing this thing. The first day of Spring was a momentous occasion and its interest spanned across two days. Lastly, a query related to the start of the holy month of Ramadan made the daily top 3 on the 20th. It officially began in the evening on Wednesday, March 22, 2023
Thankfully, No Slaps
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences award show was back on March 12th and 4 keyword phrases were reported in Google’s Daily Trends as having some of the highest search volume of the day.
- Everything Everywhere All at Once - 3/10/2023 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Everything Everywhere All at Once - 3/12/2023 - 10,000,000+ queries
- Jamie Lee Curtis Oscar - 3/12/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Ke Huy Quan - 3/12/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
A few of the top award getters also got the top keyword query volumes: Best Picture, Best Actress, and Best Supporting Actor.
A few TV series were popular with the search audience last month.
- Attack on Titan season 4 part 3 - 3/2/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Daisy Jones and the Six - 3/3/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Succession - 3/26/2023 - 200,000+ queries
The very specific episode of Attack on Titan drew search interest as it is the first half of the last final installment of the series. Netflix released Daisy Jones and the Six, starring Elvis Presley’s granddaughter, on March 3rd and the first episode of last season of Succession aired on the 26th.
For films that were released in March 2023, only a couple were interesting enough to make the daily top 3 of search queries in Google.
- Scream 6 - 3/10/2023 - 500,000+ queries
- John Wick 4 - 3/23/2023 - 500,000+ queries
With a half million queries on each of their release dates, both Scream 6 and John Wick 4 did well on their opening weekends, topping the box office.
Court Trials and an Indictment
In March 2023, there were a few high profile court appearances that prompted people to search in Google.
- Murdaugh trial - 3/2/2023 - 2,000,000+ queries
The trial of the South Carolina lawyer Alex Murdaugh for the murder of his wife came to an end on the 2nd.
- Gwyneth Paltrow ski collision - 3/21/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Gwyneth Paltrow - 3/24/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Gwyneth Paltrow verdict - 3/30/2023 - 200,000+ queries
Gwyneth Paltrow was in a Park City, Utah courtroom in a case where she was sued over a 2016 ski collision. Interest spanned over three days.
- Trump - 3/18/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Trump indictment - 3/30/2023 - 2,000,000+ queries
Lastly, the former president Donald Trump announced on social media that he expected to be arrested.. On the 30th, he was indicted by the Manhattan grand jury..
This TikTok Trend
In other news, this phrase caught our eye. We didn’t know what it was about since sometimes moon-related queries do make the Daily Top 3.
- Moon phase - 3/5/2023 - 200,000+ queries
This keyword wasn’t driven by the orb in the sky but rather a TikTok trend where you can see if you are compatible with someone based on the moon phase when you were born. Seems like a stretch to us, but we saw a lot of TikToks about it on that Sunday.
Banks are failing and rates are rising.
- Silicon Valley Bank - 3/9/2023 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Credit Suisse - 3/14/2023 - 500,000+ queries
- Credit Suisse - 3/15/2023 - 500,000+ queries
- Fed rate hike - 3/22/2023 - 200,000+ queries
This timeline shows that the populace continues to be seeking information about the stability of our finances.
In other not-so-uplifting news, strong storms brought tornados to different parts of the country.
- Tornado Los Angeles - 3/22/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Rolling Fork MS - 3/24/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Tornado - 3/31/2023 - 500,000+ queries
Weather-related keywords can be used by people seeking to prepare in the moment or to learn more about the aftermath of the storms.
The Madness of March
College basketball’s championship tournament is a March tradition. Check out the timeline from this year.
- NCAA Tournament - 3/15/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- March Madness - 3/16/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- NCAA Tournament - 3/16/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Duke basketball - 3/17/2023 - 500,000+ queries
- Gonzaga - 3/23/2023 - 500,000+ queries
- Florida Atlantic University - 3/23/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Creighton basketball - 3/25/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Final Four - 3/31/2023 - 2,000,000+ queries
Like we have seen in previous years, there will be more college basketball queries in April too.
Baseball Is Back
Another tournament happened at the global level in March. Baseball teams representing different countries around the world competed in the World Baseball Classic.
- World Baseball Classic - 3/11/2023 - 500,000+ queries
- Mexico vs Japan - 3/19/2023 - 500,000+ queries
- USA vs Japan - 3/20/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Mexico vs Japan Baseball - 3/20/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- MLB - 3/30/2023 - 500,000+ queries
The tournament led right into Major League Baseball’s opening day on the 30th.
NFL players signing with new teams (maybe?) drove name-based keyword queries.
- Lamar Jackson - 3/3/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Derek Carr - 3/6/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- D.J. Moore - 3/10/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Jalen Ramsey - 3/11/2023 - 500,000+ queries
- Aaron Rodgers - 3/13/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Jimmy Garoppolo - 3/13/2023 - 500,000+ queries
- Lamar Jackson - 3/27/2023 - 200,000+ queries
The AMP team loves the symmetry of Lamar Jackson bookending this timeline.
Going back to a league that is still in season, The NBA had a few keywords related to teams and players that made the daily top 3.
- Suns - 3/1/2023 - 500,000+ queries
- Ja Morant - 3/4/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Knicks - 3/5/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Kevin Durant - 3/9/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Warriors - 3/26/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Lebron James - 3/26/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Warriors - 3/28/2023 - 100,000+ queries
Next month, when the playoffs start, we will see more NBA keywords in our report.
Month in and month out, search query data reveals how big its audience is in the States.
- Real Madrid vs Barcelona - 3/1/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Man United vs Man City - 3/1/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Liverpool vs Man United - 3/4/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Champions League - 3/7/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Bayern vs PSG - 3/7/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Man United vs Real Betis - 3/9/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Real Madrid vs Liverpool - 3/14/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Man City vs RB Leipzig - 3/14/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
We’d like to say that this past World Cup is a big reason that the search volume is still strong but these types of phrases have been in our reports for a long time now.
The UFC is Also Popular
When there is an Ultimate Fighting Championship event, it makes the daily top 3.
- UFC - 3/4/2023 - 2,000,000+ queries
- UFC - 3/17/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
Strong prediction. - we will see a UFC keyword in our April report., probably on April 10th.
Thanks for reading. If you liked this article, we utilize search trends data for all of our clients and we invite you to learn more about our SEO services.