In our continuing series of examining Google Search Trends to gain insights into the top keywords queried in the USA, we present our findings for April 2023.
Every day, we capture the top three keyword phrases in terms of search volume as reported by Google Trends (US Only). Each term has an estimated query volume attached to it, which we also record. The number scale tops out at 10,000,000+ with a lower limit of 200,000+ (sometimes 100,000+). After the conclusion of the month, we look at the phrases we collected along with their volumes to get an understanding of what drove queries for the month.
It Must Be The Showers
As the season of Spring to its full bloom in the US, the search volume across the whole month appeared…down. We weren’t sure if Google Trends had revised the way it reported the number of queries per day or what, but the month seems lackluster in the topics that were queried and in the volume of searches. Through it all, we captured the top 3 phrases every day and have them here to review. From cable news anchors losing their jobs to boxing matches that dominated an entire day to NBA playoff action, we have the keywords that make sense of what was happening last month. Here is our take on what was reported by Google Trends.
April 27th Was The Day To Search
There were no phrases that were queried over ten million times last month. The most popular phrases only made the five million query count and they both were reported on the 27th.
- Jerry Springer - 4/27/2023 - 5,000,000+ queries
- NFL Draft - 4/27/2023 - 5,000,000+ queries
Jerry Springer passed away on that day and news spread, driving search activity. Unrelated, the NFL held the first night of its annual draft and it piqued the interest of fans wanting to learn more about the event.
Were We Not Entertained?
Here’s a list of phrases that are related to the world of Entertainment.
- CMT Awards 2023 - 4/2/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Star Wars - 4/7/2023 - 100,000+ queries
- Taylor Swift - 4/8/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Millie Bobby Brown Jake Bongiovi - 4/11/2023 - 100,000+ queries
- Love is Blind live reunion - 4/16/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
In terms of shows, the CMT Awards found its way into the daily top 3 as it typically does every year. More popular than the Country Music Awards was the topic of the Love Is Blind Reunion show. We’re not sure if people wanted to know more about the show or why it didn’t air during its planned time. Technical difficulties do lead to increased search volume.
The other three items show that people are still interested in Star Wars as news was announced at the Star Wars Celebration Europe 2023 convention. Relationship news rounds out the other phrases as Taylor Swift split from Joe Alwyn and Millie Bobby Brown and Jake Bongiovi got engaged.
The Holiday Query
The one big holiday in April didn’t garner that much query volume for Google Search.
- Happy Easter - 4/9/2023 - 500,000+ queries
Looking at the Doodles page, there was no Easter Google Doodle for 2023 which is a big factor in the lack of holiday phrases since many Doodles are connected to queries. Not so much for last month. Earth Day got a Doodle but it didn’t impact search queries.
The Met Gala
At the end of the month, the annual fundraising gala held for the benefit of the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute in New York City was held and the theme this year was a tribute to the late designer Karl Lagerfeld, who passed away on February 19, 2019
- Karl Lagerfeld - 4/30/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Met Gala 2023 - 4/30/2023 - 500,000+ queries
This event has made our report before so we pulled the chart for the past 5 years on this topic:
The chart shows the highest popularity in 2019. Looking at the trend, the interest in the Met Gala this year was down as compared to the 2021 and 2022 event.
Cable News Anchors
Not that the networks coordinated with each other, but two well-known cable news anchors parted ways from their employer.
- Tucker Carlson - 4/24/2023 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Don Lemon - 4/24/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
In terms of search volume, Mr. Carlson’s name was the winner and his departure shakes up the prime time schedule for Fox News.
One could argue that our last section could have been included here but we’re separating it. Here are the phrases that were searched most that were tied to US politics
- Donald Trump - 4/3/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Trump - 4/3/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Wisconsin Supreme Court election - 4/4/2023 - 500,000+ queries
- Chicago mayoral election - 4/4/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Tennessee - 4/6/2023 - 200,000+ queries
Although the volumes do not compare to what we saw in November 2020, it does show that elections and current/past elected officials drive people to search for information.
Moving on, we saw two queries that are connected to two different companies with two different trajectories.
- SpaceX - 4/20/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Bed Bath and Beyond - 4/23/2023 - 500,000+ queries
SpaceX launched its Starship rocket on the 20th for a test flight but it exploded before stage separation. Bed Bath and Beyond announced that it is closing stores after filing for bankruptcy on the 23rd.
March Madness finishes up in April, naturally. Here are the phrases related to the final games of the Men’s and Women’s college basketball tournament.
- UConn vs Miami - 4/1/2023 - 100,000+ queries
- LSU women's basketball - 4/2/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Angel Reese Caitlin Clark - 4/2/2023 - 500,000+ queries
- March Madness - 4/3/2023 - 500,000+ queries
It’s a bit odd that we didn’t see more queries for UConn as they won the Men’s tournament. We think Donald Trump’s indictment may have overshadowed that championship’s winner.
The Masters Tournament held in Augusta, Georgia drove searches over a few days in the first week of April.
- Masters - 4/6/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Viktor Hovland - 4/6/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Jon Rahm - 4/9/2023 - 500,000+ queries
For the big golf tournaments, we tend to see keywords related to the leaderboard or names of the golfers who win. Jon Rahm gets that honor this year.
From time to time, Boxing matches get top billing in Google’s Daily Trends report. Here’s one from last month that took over the top three spots on the 21st and the top spot on the 22nd.
- Ryan Garcia vs Tank - 4/21/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Tank vs Garcia fight - 4/21/2023 - 500,000+ queries
- Tank vs Garcia - 4/21/2023 - 500,000+ queries
- Ryan Garcia - 4/22/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
This fight got a lot of attention because it was a bout of two undefeated fighters, billed as It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This. Even though Gervonta “Tank” Davis won the fight by KO, it was Ryan Garcia’s name that got the most queries. The AMP team sees this phenomenon where the team or individual that gets defeated is searched for more. The queries could be motivated by the need to understand why the loss occurred.
Oh, and because we predicted that UFC would show up in the April 2023 report in the March 2023 report, here’s the proof that it happened.
- UFC - 4/8/2023 - 500,000+ queries
The NBA Has Our Full Attention
With the regular season coming to a close and the playoffs starting last month, NBA-related keyword phrases made up a large portion of the data we collected for this report. Check out the timeline from April 2023:
- Lakers - 4/4/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Dallas Mavericks - 4/7/2023 - 100,000+ queries
- Rudy Gobert - 4/8/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Lakers - 4/11/2023 - 500,000+ queries
- Miami Heat - 4/11/2023 - 100,000+ queries
- Bulls - 4/12/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Bulls - 4/14/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Timberwolves - 4/14/2023 - 100,000+ queries
- Warriors - 4/15/2023 - 500,000+ queries
- Celtics - 4/15/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Lakers - 4/16/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Warriors - 4/17/2023 - 500,000+ queries
- Draymond Green - 4/17/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Suns - 4/18/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Lakers - 4/19/2023 - 500,000+ queries
- Warriors - 4/20/2023 - 500,000+ queries
- 76ers - 4/20/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Lakers - 4/22/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Bucks - 4/22/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Warriors - 4/23/2023 - 500,000+ queries
- Celtics - 4/23/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Lakers - 4/25/2023 - 500,000+ queries
- Lakers vs Grizzlies - 4/25/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Warriors - 4/26/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Miami Heat - 4/26/2023 - 500,000+ queries
- Lakers - 4/28/2023 - 2,000,000+ queries
- LeBron James - 4/28/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Suns - 4/29/2023 - 500,000+ queries
- Warriors vs Kings - 4/29/2023 - 200,000+ queries
You can see the list is mostly composed of team names. Did your team make the list?
The Most Popular Sport
Even though the NBA had its time in April, the NFL is the most searched for American Professional Sports league. Besides the top query of the draft on the 27th, here are the other NFL related keywords.
- Aaron Rodgers - 4/24/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Will Levis - 4/27/2023 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Will Levis Draft - 4/28/2023 - 200,000+ queries
Aaron Rodgers joining the New York Jets and the curious case of Will Levis’ draft day(s) made the most searched terms on April 27-28th.
Looking back at the last 4 years of collecting daily trending keywords, the Boston Marathon has never made our list. This year is different.
- Boston Marathon 2023 - 4/15/2023 - 200,000+ queries
- Boston Marathon 2023 - 4/17/2023 - 500,000+ queries
The 15th marked the 10 year anniversary of the Boston Marathon Bombing and on the 17th, the race was run in all its glory. See who the winners were.
Last but not least, the NHL started their playoffs in April 2023 and there were two team names that made our list.
- Kraken - 4/29/2023 - 100,000+ queries
- Bruins - 4/30/2023 - 500,000+ queries
Sorry, Boston fans. The team came up short yet again.
Thanks for reading. If you liked this article, we utilize search trends data for all of our clients and we invite you to learn more about our SEO services.