In our continuing series of examining Google Search Trends to gain insights into the top keywords queried in the USA, we present our findings for June 2022.
Every day, we capture the top three keyword phrases in terms of search volume as reported by Google Trends (US Only). Each term has an estimated query volume attached to it, which we also record. The number scale tops out at 10,000,000+ with a lower limit of 200,000+ (sometimes 100,000+). After the conclusion of the month, we look at the phrases we collected along with their volumes to get an understanding of what drove queries for the month.
Lazy, Hazy Days of June 2022
As we collected the top three queries from Google’s Daily Search Trends, we noticed that the aggregated sum for June was not as large as the first 5 months of the year. We know what we collect is only a sample of the total number of Google searches conducted in a day, but we had the pleasant feeling that maybe people were spending more time outside, in real life, and less time using devices. Hey, it could be true.
Looking through the data, we can see that the Supreme Court overturning of the Roe vs. Wade decision was the biggest news story of the month. In Entertainment news, the conclusion of the Johnny Depp/Amber Heard court case and the disorder affecting Justin Bieber drove people to search. The NBA and NHL had their Finals in the month of June and we’ll examine the phrases attached to both of those league’s playoff and championship series. We’ll delve into Doodles, holidays, TV shows, film trailers, award shows, and the latest economic woes. Lastly, we will analyze the curious case of June 6th.
All right - let’s go.
Google Holiday Doodles
Those clicks on Google’s altered logo get counted as queries. Check out the top Doodle driven queries for June 2022:
- Father's day - 6/18/2022 - 10,000,000+ queries
- Juneteenth - 6/19/2022 - 10,000,000+ queries
Juneteenth gets a Doodle this year as it did last year. This national holiday occurred on the Monday after Father’s Day in 2022, which also got its own Doodle.
More Holiday Queries
Continuing the theme of holiday queries, we present the rest of the non-Doodle driven phrases here:
- When is Father's Day - 6/3/2022 - 100,000+ queries
- Is Juneteenth a federal holiday - 6/19/2022 - 200,000+ queries
- Happy Father's Day - 6/19/2022 - 100,000+ queries
- Summer solstice 2022 - 6/20/2022 - 500,000+ queries
Father’s Day gets 2 appearances in the Daily Top 3 outside of the Doodle-attached query. It’s interesting to see people asking when the holiday was happening. What we have seen over the past 3 years of data collection is that the search volume attached to Mother’s Day is more than the search volume attached to Father’s Day. We looked into the charts over the last 5 years and we found something interesting:
The search interest gap seems to be closing. The two peaks appear to be closer in 2022 as compared to previous years. We’re not sure why this trend is happening but the two holidays are becoming more equitable in terms of search interest.
A question about Juneteenth’s federal holiday status, which it became in 2021, and the first official day of summer round out our list for this keyword category.
All The Entertainment
Here are the shows and films people were excited about in June 2022:
- The Boys - 6/2/2022 - 200,000+ queries
- Ms Marvel - 6/7/2022 - 200,000+ queries
- Hustle - 6/8/2022 - 200,000+ queries
- Spiderhead - 6/17/2022 - 200,000+ queries
- Hocus Pocus 2 - 6/28/2022 - 200,000+ queries
- Stranger Things' Season 4 - 6/30/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
Season 3 of The Boys and the miniseries Ms. Marvel debuted last month. June was a big month for Netflix. Two films distributed by the streaming service spurred strong search interest - Adam Sandler’s film Hustle and the science fiction psychological thriller film, Spiderhead. At the end of the month, part 2 of Stranger Things’ Season 4 was made available. Finally, the trailer of the Hocus Pocus sequel made the daily top 3 on June 28th.
People still like awards shows enough to use Google to learn more about them.
- Tony Awards 2022 - 6/12/2022 - 500,000+ queries
- BET Awards 2022 - 6/26/2022 - 200,000+ queries
Although the search volumes are not what they were before the pandemic, both these award shows had a search resurgence in 2022.
We may not ever see the pre-pandemic search volume come back for award shows but they are showing signs of life.
To wrap up our entertainment-related phrase examination, both of these phrases were queried over five million times within a 24 hour period in June.
- Johnny Depp - 6/1/2022 - 5,000,000+ queries
- Ramsay Hunt syndrome - 6/10/2022 - 5,000,000+ queries
The first of the month had the verdict of the Johnny Depp/Amber Heard trial and Justin Bieber explained that he is suffering from Ramsay Hunt syndrome and needs to postpone dates. We hope he gets back on the road soon. His concert tour was named as a top entertainment topic for this summer in our Top Trends for Summer 2022 report.
Roe vs. Wade
We discussed it in our May report that we would be monitoring the search volume for this Supreme Court decision and here’s what we collected:
- Supreme Court decisions today - 6/21/2022 - 200,000+ queries
- Roe vs Wade - 6/23/2022 - 5,000,000+ queries
- Roe vs Wade - 6/24/2022 - 10,000,000+ queries
This topic dominated the search trends report for 3 days as people were trying to learn more about the court’s decision. We will keep tracking other key SCOTUS decisions as the year continues.
- Stephen Breyer - 6/29/2022 - 500,000+ queries
Stephen Breyer retired as a Supreme Court Justice and Ketanji Brown Jackson filled his seat on the bench.
The January 6th hearings continued in June 2022 and this witness drove people to search.
- Cassidy Hutchinson - 6/27/2022 - 2,000,000+ queries
Cassidy’s testimony was held on the 27th which drove people to learn more about her and what she had to say under oath.
The NBA finals were held in June and here’s the timeline of the queries related to the championship series:
- NBA Finals - 6/2/2022 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Warriors - 6/5/2022 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Golden State Warriors - 6/5/2022 - 500,000+ queries
- NBA - 6/8/2022 - 5,000,000+ queries
- NBA - 6/10/2022 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Celtics - 6/10/2022 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Draymond Green - 6/11/2022 - 100,000+ queries
- Klay Thompson - 6/16/2022 - 200,000+ queries
- Draymond Green - 6/17/2022 - 200,000+ queries
We were rooting for a different outcome here in the AMP Boston office but we look forward to next year.
The Stanley Cup Playoffs and Finals also occurred last month. Check out this timeline of queries leading up to the eventual winner.
- Rangers - 6/4/2022 - 200,000+ queries
- Rangers - 6/8/2022 - 200,000+ queries
- Colorado Avalanche - 6/15/2022 - 500,000+ queries
- Colorado Avalanche - 6/24/2022 - 500,000+ queries
- NHL - 6/25/2022 - 500,000+ queries
- Tampa Bay Lightning - 6/25/2022 - 200,000+ queries
- Colorado Avalanche - 6/26/2022 - 200,000+ queries
Congrats to the Colorado Avalanche for their win over the Tampa Bay Lightning. The NHL may not be as popular as the NBA from a search volume perspective, but the post-pandemic search timeline was nice to see.
With inflation, cryptocurrency values tanking, and the stock market dropping, what else could happen. Oh yeah, mortgage rates are rising.
- Bitcoin price - 6/12/2022 - 500,000+ queries
- Stock market - 6/13/2022 - 500,000+ queries
- Mortgage rates - 6/15/2022 - 500,000+ queries
None of these three phrases were queried over a million times in a day so we guess people weren’t that concerned or only a certain percentage of the population was concerned.
Beyond Doodles, Google’s daily trends report can get skewed by user clicks on weather warnings. We present the top queries related to weather in June 2022:
- Yellowstone National Park - 6/13/2022 - 500,000+ queries
- Excessive heat warning - 6/13/2022 - 500,000+ queries
- Severe thunderstorm warning - 6/14/2022 - 500,000+ queries
The Yellowstone keyword is related to a flood that happened on the 13th. The other two phrases are related to mobile phone alerts that become queries when clicked on. Weather-related keywords are making the daily top 3 more often. There may be an idea of a 2022 retrospective in the works.
What Was Up With June 6th?
The daily top three was made up of phrases related to popular tech companies.
- Apple - 6/6/2022 - 500,000+ queries
- Google Docs - 6/6/2022 - 500,000+ queries
- LinkedIn - 6/6/2022 - 500,000+ queries
Apple had their 2022 Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC22) on the 6th, which does drive searches from people seeking the latest from the company. The other two queries, we believe, were related to outages. LinkedIn was reportedly down on the 6th. We don’t see any evidence of Google Docs not being available on the 6th, but that’s our guess based on the history of this phrase. Did the Apple conference cause outages? One may never know.
Thanks for reading. If you liked this article, we utilize search trends data for all of our clients and we invite you to learn more about our SEO services.
Until next month.