In our continuing series of examining Google Search Trends to gain insights into the top keywords queried in the USA, we present our findings for June 2021.
Every day, we capture the top three keyword phrases in terms of search volume as reported by Google Trends (US Only). Each term has an estimated query volume attached to it, which we also record. The number scale tops out at 10,000,000+ with a lower limit of 200,000+. After the conclusion of the month, we look at the phrases we collected along with their volumes to get an understanding of what drove queries for the month.
So Many Doodles
Every month, there’s at least a few keywords that get queried 10 million times or more during the day. Here are many of them that we recorded for June 2021:
- Shirley Temple - 6/8/2021 - 10,000,000+ queries
- Father's Day 2021 - 6/19/2021 - 10,000,000+ queries
- Tommy Kono - 6/26/2021 - 10,000,000+ queries
The query volume of these keyword phrases were driven by Google Doodles, the logo alteration that the search engine publishes from time to time. This month, Google celebrated the actress Shirley Temple and the Japanese American weightlifter Tommy Kono along with the Father’s Day holiday.
One other phrase hit the maximum reported query volume level in June, but it deserves to be a part of its own section.
The search popularity of Juneteenth has been growing over the last few years; but in June 2021, it had its peak (so far).
The phrase and its companion phrase of “Juneteenth federal holiday” made the daily top 3 most-queried phrases five times during the month.
- Juneteenth - 6/14/2021 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Juneteenth - 6/16/2021 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Juneteenth federal holiday - 6/16/2021 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Juneteenth federal holiday - 6/17/2021 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Juneteenth - 6/18/2021 - 10,000,000+ queries
A Google Doodle was published to celebrate the establishment of Juneteenth as a US Federal Holiday, which helped to drive the query volume beyond the 10 million mark. AMP Agency will not be surprised if Google reveals at the end of the year that Juneteeth was one of the most queried phrases of the 2021.
Summer Food Holiday
Shifting gears, it was good to see that a query related to National Donut Day made the daily top three this year:
- National Donut Day 2021 - 6/3/2021 - 500,000+ queries
The AMP Team predicted that this special day would be popular this year in our hot trending summer food and beverage days blog post. There are a few happening in July, so we’ll wait until the data is in and then we’ll share how right we were!
Summer Entertainment Queries
AMP Agency is fascinated with using search query data as an indicator of a film or TV show’s popularity. Check out the titles that made the daily top 3 last month. Did you see any of them, or are you just pumped about the iCarly reboot?
- The Conjuring - 6/3/2021 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Loki - 6/9/2021 - 500,000+ queries
- In The Heights - 6/10/2021 - 500,000+ queries
- iCarly reboot - 6/17/2021 - 500,000+ queries
- Fast And Furious 9 - 6/24/2021 - 1,000,000+ queries
Britney Spears was in the news as she went to court for her conservatorship case.
- Britney Spears - 6/22/2021 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Britney Spears - 6/23/2021 - 2,000,000+ queries
There are a few AMPers who are pulling for her. #FreeBritney
Technology, Ecommerce, and Finance
Knowing that technology news drives people to search, here are the top queries related to that topic:
- Zoom - 6/7/2021 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Nintendo E3 - 6/15/2021 - 500,000+ queries
- Windows 11 - 6/24/2021 - 500,000+ queries
Zoom, the company with the name that is synonymous with video conferencing, had an earnings call on the 7th. Nintendo had a presentation of new and upcoming games at the Electronic Entertainment Experience (E3) event, and Microsoft introduced Windows 11, which will be released later on this year.
- Amazon Prime Day - 6/20/2021 - 2,000,000+ queries
Everyone’s favorite discount shopping day that’s not Cyber Monday had a ‘just ok’ search volume level this year as compared to other years.
This chart shows the level of search interest in the two main keyword phrases associated with Amazon’s big sale day. The peak appears to have happened in 2018 from a search perspective.
Meanwhile, financial resources report that total Prime Day gross sales were up 7% year over year to $9.55 billion.
Lastly, meme stocks are still a thing.
- AMC stock - 6/1/2021 - 1,000,000+ queries
- AMC - 6/1/2021 - 1,000,000+ queries
- AMC stock - 6/2/2021 - 1,000,000+ queries
Americans Love Their Sports
If you follow this monthly series, you know that sports-related queries make up a big chunk of the most popular phrases of any month. It is noteworthy that in June 2021, of the 90 phrases we recorded in our daily top three collections, 51 were sports-related – 57%!
Queries were driven by pay-per-view boxing, international soccer (football) and the NBA playoffs.
Floyd Mayweather and Logan Paul boxed each other and the search interest level was quite high, extending over many days. People searching for the time of the bout was the most popular phrase.
- Mayweather vs Logan Paul time - 6/4/2021 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Logan Paul vs. Mayweather - 6/4/2021 - 500,000+ queries
- Logan Paul vs Mayweather - 6/5/2021 - 10,000,000+ queries
- Floyd Mayweather vs Logan Paul - 6/5/2021 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Mayweather vs Logan Paul time - 6/6/2021 - 5,000,000+ queries
After a year of postponement, international soccer tournaments were back this June and drove people to search for information related to the UEFA European Championship and Copa América. Spoiler alert – there will be more phrases to be reported in the July 2021 post.
- Mexico vs USA - 6/6/2021 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Euro 2021 - 6/11/2021 - 500,000+ queries
- Christian Eriksen - 6/12/2021 - 2,000,000+ queries
- France vs Switzerland - 6/28/2021 - 500,000+ queries
Next, let’s take in the dominance of the NBA in terms of their league related queries making the daily top 3 in June. Almost a third of all of our collected phrases for the month were NBA related. There were so many, we broke them into 2 groups: teams and players.
NBA Teams (note: the Suns made the top three twice on the 28th with the same phrase!)
- Clippers - 6/2/2021 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Lakers - 6/3/2021 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Suns - 6/7/2021 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Clippers - 6/8/2021 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Sixers - 6/8/2021 - 500,000+ queries
- Utah Jazz - 6/10/2021 - 500,000+ queries
- Sixers - 6/11/2021 - 500,000+ queries
- Sixers - 6/14/2021 - 500,000+ queries
- Nets - 6/15/2021 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Sixers - 6/16/2021 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Clippers - 6/18/2021 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Nets - 6/18/2021 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Bucks - 6/19/2021 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Clippers - 6/22/2021 - 500,000+ queries
- Suns - 6/24/2021 - 500,000+ queries
- Bucks vs. Hawks - 6/25/2021 - 500,000+ queries
- Suns vs Clippers - 6/26/2021 - 500,000+ queries
- Suns - 6/28/2021 - 500,000+ queries
- Suns - 6/28/2021 - 500,000+ queries
- Bucks - 6/29/2021 - 5,000,000+ queries
- Suns - 6/30/2021 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Damian Lillard - 6/1/2021 - 1,000,000+ queries
- James Harden - 6/5/2021 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Kyrie Irving - 6/13/2021 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Ben Simmons - 6/20/2021 - 2,000,000+ queries
- Devin Booker - 6/20/2021 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Trae Young - 6/23/2021 - 1,000,000+ queries
- Giannis Antetokounmpo - 6/29/2021 - 1,000,000+ queries
It’s interesting to see the jump in the number and volume behind these queries as people have been allowed to attend games. When the league was playing in a “bubble” last year, the search interest was not as large.
Lastly, Carl Nassib became the first active NFL player to publicly come out as gay and his announcement drove search queries for his name:
- Carl Nassib - 6/21/2021 - 2,000,000+ queries
As a part of his statement, he pledged to donate $100,000 to The Trevor Project, an organization dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention among LGBTQ+ youth. Happy Pride Month!
Thanks for reading. If you liked this article, we utilize search trends data for all of our clients and we invite you to learn more about our SEO services.