If you're not aware of these new technologies, you should be. They will take over your life sooner or later.
14. OLED ' it stands for Organic LED (Light Emitting Diode). These carbon-based LED systems have more contrast ratio than you can shake a stick at. They are thinner, lighter and kick the butt of even the best TVs on the market today. A 32-incher in the future will weigh about 11 pounds and be about 8mm thick.
15. Android ' not the eat-your-face kind of Android ' Google Android. It's a new operating system for cell phones. With a rumored 15 releases across multiple carriers by the time people starting ho-ho-ho'ing, there will surely be one coming to a store near you.
16. Windows 7 ' Vista has gone the way of the mastodon in favor of its newer, less fancifully named successor, Windows 7. The new operating system ships out in October 2009 and promises everything Vista wasn't.
17. Vimeo.com ' this isn't that new, but it's a high-definition-only alternative to YouTube. With high quality video and artful influence, it gives a different perspective on user-generated video. Inane camera-phone videos of people talking to their cat need not apply.
18. Boxee ' it's part media aggregator and part social networking. Watch TV, listen to music, share stuff with friends ' all for free. It's still in test mode, but this software shows a lot of promise for the future. Look for lots of headlines of this one in the future.